Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Drumsmith!

*Insert drum roll* Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to Geoffrey Smith, energetic drummer for local bands Dimeshift and Eden Michelle.



Dimeshift first caught my attention a few months ago when a copy of their debut album, In One Basket, found its way into my collection. An avid fan ever since then, I managed to track down Geoffrey - who goes about making music with a smile on his face!

What did you want to be when you grow up?
When I was a kid I always wanted to work for a company and make computer games! It even led me to study Computer Science at WITS. It was in my first year at university that I realised that programming wasn't for me. Unfortunately I had no idea what else to do so I just pushed through, got my degree and then started working. During my time at university, I also joined my first band.
Playing drums was always just a hobby for me until June 2009 when I had this crazy idea of becoming a professional drummer. That's when I really started to take my drumming seriously. I began going for drum lessons again, practising every day, and started to look around for a more serious band to get involved with. Eventually I found Dimeshift and after two auditions I joined the band.

Tell me more about your YouTube videos?
Around about the time I decided to start this journey to becoming a professional drummer, I also started my website, www.thedrumsmith.com. I thought it might be cool to record myself drumming so that I could get people's comments and also get more exposure as a drummer. I've realised that I need to get my name out there if I want to get anywhere. The YouTube videos are a great way to showcase my abilities and also to see how I've improved over time.
I've also met a lot of other musicians through the YouTube videos and have even done a collaboration with someone from Germany.

Most embarrassing album in your collection?
Well... I have a Spice Girls CD... which I use as a coaster!

What are your passions outside of music?
Outside of music? There is no life outside of music! Ha ha! I really don't have any other passions... I work to pay the bills and then I play music every chance I get. I play in my bands, Dimeshift and Eden Michelle, and then also for my church. On the side I'm also learning to play Alto Saxophone.

What are your plans for the future?
It's tough to make plans because things are always changing. All I know for sure is that every day I'm working my way towards becoming a professional musician. I'll continue to look for opportunities to perform and am also considering going to work as a drummer on a cruise ship. Currently I'm focusing on improving my skills in various styles, mainly Latin and big band/jazz because these are the main genres played on the ships. I definitely want to venture into the overseas music industry.

Check out Geoffrey's videos on www.youtube.com/thedrumsmith.

No comments:

Post a Comment