Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Monday, September 6, 2010

Dancing With Sugar Plum Fairies

The Sick-Leaves has been receiving a great deal of airplay on local music stations including MK's Studio 1, PUK FM, Kovsie FM and Tuks FM. The new album, Last Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy, has been very well received and fans can look forward to a follow-up hitting the shelves soon.



Currently on a break from performing while busy working on new material, I had a quick chat with Eksteen Jacobsz, the mastermind behind The Sick-Leaves.

Last Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy has been very well received . How has the success changed your life?
It is always very helpful and flattering when your album is well received. A lot of people will say any publicity is good publicity but I prefer positive feedback. When you record the album you don't know how the public or critics are going to receive it, so I guess in a sense it is more relief than anything else. Apart from that it helps with confidence as it shows you're on the right track.

What's it like being a solo artist in the music industry of today? Do you think it's harder than being in a four- or five-piece band?
It is quite tough in the sense that your support structure around you is a bit smaller. But to be honest, apart from camaraderie and morale I prefer being a solo artist. It is fantastic to have creative freedom and to do things the way you like them to be done without having to have the consent and approval of other people.

You are currently busy working on new material?
Yes, it is an ongoing process. After each album I release, it is a case of, "What now? Whereto from here?" I've done the debut/putting-it-out-there-album (Tunnel Vision, 2006), I've done the epic album (Stone The Crow, 2008) and I've done the compact-tight-trying-to-please-radio-album (Last Dance Of The Sugarplum Fairy, 2010). What I'm feeling for the next one is an album that's written with film soundtracks in mind.

Who are your influences?
My biggest influences are guitarists/singers/songwriters like Matthew Bellamy, Noel Gallagher, Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, Bruce Springsteen etc. Bands that have been a big influence are The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Arcade Fire, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Kills and many more.

What song do you wish you'd written?
She Said She Said by The Beatles.

No comments:

Post a Comment