Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Monday, March 14, 2011

Thank You, RAMfest!

Happy Monday... or not. I woke up with a cold this morning and the lovely rainy weather outside didn't exactly make getting up for work any easier... But how did I catch a cold? So worth it!

I woke up on Saturday feeling like a 5-year-old on Christmas morning. After a lot of running around looking for my sunglasses and applying a second layer of sunblock (occasionally squeaking like a lovestruck teenager), we jumped into the car and set off for RAMfest. If you've never been, let me explain one thing: you are guaranteed to lose, break or gain something when attending this music festival.



I lost my voice, I nearly broke a finger trying to flush the Port-A-Potty in the dark and I left Riversands Farm with a cold and a renewed respect for our local artists - and Die Antwoord's Enter The Ninja stuck in my head.


Zebra & Giraffe

We arrived just in time to catch the awesomeness that is Desmond & The Tutus and rock along to Knave's powerful tunes. Isochronous impressed with their progressive synth-rock and after singing along to some Zebra & Giraffe we were off to the dance stage to yell in each other's ears how "friggin' cool" Bittereinder is!



Bittereinder
 I've been a fan ever since I got my hands on their album last year and this was the first time I saw them perform live - definitely worth having a Red Bull spilled all over your feet by the eedjit next to you. There was just one thing I'd say was uncalled for: while singing Tale Of Three Cities they just stopped when Jack Parow's part came up. Okay, he wasn't there, but still - at least finish the song!


Van Coke Kartel

Before Van Coke Kartel were set to rock the farm, it was time for yet another Red Bull & Vodka (yes, I considered hunting the guy down who was responsible for spilling the previous one and make him pay for it, but he was probably passed out next to the nearest tree by then) and a Spur burger (thanks so much, Spur! You guys ensured that I didn't catch the tummy bug they were selling as an extra topping on the pizzas) to get some energy for what was sure to be a mind-blowing performance. Yeah, not so much. I was a tad bit disappointed by Van Coke Kartel's performance, yet I can't say why that is...



I enjoyed Alkaline Trio and Funeral For A Friend very much - even though I seemed to be the only one in our yard (read: two blankets that were moved according to the shade) who thought they were cool. There were a lot of "they sound like Blink, I'm not in high school anymore" and "the lead singer doesn't even know when to swear"'s going around, but the fact that i didn't want to grate my ears off was a good sign to me.



Now, I'm also not a teenager anymore (how did they get in, by the way?) and at around 10 pm I had an argument with a friend about my weakness. See, when I want to sleep, I should've been in bed already - to avoid things becoming messy when having sharp objects within an arm's reach. Luckily, no sharp objects were allowed on the premises and I was allowed a ten minute power nap in our yard, surrounded by Red Bull glasses and grass EVERYWHERE - including in my mouth and ears.


Die Antwoord's killing performance was definitely the highlight of my day. From the moment they were announced by John Vlismas to the opening sounds of Enter The Ninja, I had goosebumps! I was amazed at how the crowd was hanging onto every word they sang and followed their every move with eager eyes and bobbing heads.

Unfortunately we had to leave halfway into their set to avoid a traffic jam at midnight on a farm in Johannesburg (it's possible, believe me!), but I got to see Die Antwoord so I was a happy camper as we headed home.


Congratulations to Hilltop Live and everyone involved for yet another successful RAM in Joburg. I'm very pleased at how things worked out at the new venue. It was well organised and we never waited long to get a drink, something to eat or have a turn at the Port-A-Potties (unlike last year at Emmarentia where I aged a year waiting in the line to get a drink).

Just an example of what not to wear: (seriously!)


I can't wait for next year's RAM!

Rock on!
Izzy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment