Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Future Of Sound


Roughly three years ago I met a Joburg based band called Futuresound. Their first hit single Where Did She Go caused quite a stir on the local music scene and their second single, Daylight graced the top spot of music charts across the country.

Since taking South Africa by storm in 2008, Siba, Steve, Rev and Genesis have been touring South Africa and they recently entered the studio to record their self-titled debut album which is set for release end of this month. I caught up with the guys while in studio to find out what the recording process is like this time around (they are busy recording an extra 5 tracks for the album) and what music means to them.

"I loved seeing the songs grow and come together they way we had them in our heads. Other than being on stage, studio is the next best place I like to be, so I loved every second of it." - Steve

"This time around being in studio was a whole process of imagination. I say this because this time we made music with the idea of performing it in large stadiums. We made music that we could sing directly to a large crowd of people and leave each one of them feeling like we sang specifically to them. So, in a nutshell, studio was us not only recording songs but performing them to a crowd-filled stadium as we did so. Maybe it doesn't make sense now, but buy the album, come to a show and experience what I'm trying to say for yourself!" - Rev



"Being back in studio felt right. If by doing the first 16 tracks for the album was 90%, then producing and recording these additional songs was the remaining 10%. I felt highly creative and as a band I could feel that once again Futuresound has grown to another level of synergy and creativity. It was good to get back in studio one last time before we launch our album. With all the hustling and grinding we do to make things happen it was a good reminder to bring it all back to the music. After all, that's what God has blessed us for and that's what we're all about." - Genesis



"Being in studio again for the additional 5 tracks on the album was so much better this time for many reasons. For one, we are now signed artists which wasn't the case first time around. So, there was a lot more confidence of seeing our finished product on the shelve.s I was a lot more relaxed with a bit more understanding of each band member and my own strengths and weaknesses; enhancing the strengths and improving on the weaknesses. As with life, the experience had a few ups and downs and a few surprises, for instance recording our follow up single When Will You Fall was no walk in the park. The song was originally written for Pop Stars and its key and register were well suited for a female vocalist, but we decided to use it ourselves after we were too late with submissions - which actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I'm used to not taking up more than an hour recording vocals, but spent an excruciating five hours to hit those high notes. I came very close to quitting - no tears! - but was eventually successful." - Siba



Make sure you've got 21 April marked on your calender for the launch of Futuresound's much anticipated debut album.

Peace!

Izzy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment