Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chameleon To Release New Ingrid Jonker Album

Chris Chameleon set Ingrid Jonker's poems to music for the first time in the critically acclaimed album Ek Herhaal Jou in 2005. This album was one of the most popular and widely discussed albums ever issued in Afrikaans. Fans, media and literary circles were abuzz and praised Chris for making Jonker's work accessible to a new and broader audience.



Chameleon strives to release at leats one new album annually, and at the beginning of 2011 it was time to compose new songs. He began working on writing his own words but found that Jonker's poems were still, after all these years, pulling at his heartstrings: "I composed and recorded Ek Herhaal Jou in a whirlwind of a month. Some tracks did not feature on the album due to time constraints in the studio. My love for this particular Afrikaans cultural treasure has never seized. Jonker's work inspires me in my music as well as my life in general. The compositions kept coming through the years. Every time I open her poem collections, new ideas materialize. In albums such as Volkleur DVD and Klassieke Chameleon, one can hear some of Ingrid Jonker's poems that did not make it onto Ek Herhaal Jou."

Chris realised that the only way in which he was going to find some artistic rest for his soul was to listen and respond. The compositions flowed with ease. The new album, As Jy Weer Skryf was recorded in March with the help of producer Theo Crous at Belville Studios. Ek Herhaal Jou is a very simplistic album. As Jy Weer Skryf has a much fuller sound and offers a diverse range of moods. Rock, reggae and a children's lullaby adds to the variety on the album.

As Jy Weer Skryf contains 15 tracks and will be released by Rhythm Records in May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment