Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

SAARKIE Album Review

Hey peeps!

I was really excited to pop Saarkie's second album, Identiteit into the CD player when I got it last week. And South Africa's only all-girl rock band didn't disappoint. Here's what I thought of it:



My Hart, the opening track of Identiteit sets the benchmark for the rest of the album with an energetic feel and complies perfectly with the album's underlying theme of identity. Oorlog In My Hart, the first single off the album isn't necessarily the best choice for a taste of what's to come when promoting an upcoming album (I would've gone with the super cool Lucky Strike - just my humble opinion!). That said, highlights on the album include the African-infused Masibambaneni, Devil In Disguise and the soulful Nader Aan My - written specially for the girls by and performed with Afrikaans rocker Jan Blohm.

English fans won't necessarily understand what messages the girls who rock in style are trying to get through with their lyrics, but that's not a good enough excuse not to buy the album and rock your socks off! These chicks know which buttons to push when it comes to psyching you up for a night on the town - complete with stilettos and blood red lips!

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment