Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Freakin' Valentine's Day

To me, the 14th of February is just another day. The only thing I look forward to is the marked-down chocolates on February 15. Don't get me wrong; when I was still at school I couldn't wait to receive uprooted plant life and sugar-saturated caffeinated blocks of fat on Valentine's Day. It became some sort of competition in high school amongst girls to see who received the most flowers, cards and chocolates from their "secret admirers". Now I just wish someone would find Cupid already and b*tch slap the little punk!

Yes, I am "one of those" people who does not celebrate the unimaginative, consumerist-oriented and entirely arbitrary, manipulative and shallow interpretation of "romance day". Why? Here comes the cliche: every day should be a celebration of love. Not only must you show that "special someone" daily how you feel, but I try to tell my friends and family every day that I love them.

It's not that I'm boycotting this corporate-mandated "holiday" - I will be donating some of my time (due to a lack of millions in my bank account) to various charities during the month of love. Walking an abused dog or playing with an abandoned child to me means so much more than buying over-priced chocolates and cheesy cards.

That said, I've compiled a list of songs by some of my favourite local artists which aren't necessarily "love songs", but they speak to my heart in an inexplicable way - reminding me that there's more to love than just a date on a calendar.

I hope you enjoy it!

Much love,

Izzy
xxx

aKING - You & I


Die Heuwels Fantasties - Leja


Easy Tiger - Love Stung Child


Chromium - The Last Time


Knave - Phenomenon


Freshlyground - I'd Like


Kinky Robot - Hobie Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment