Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Everybody's Got The Fever...

Last week Thursday saw the opening night of UK smash hit show Strictly Tap Dance Fever at The Joburg Theatre and let me tell you something; a more talented cast than this you won't find anywhere soon!



Within the first few seconds of the show, I had forgotten about the idiot in his beemer who stole my parking spot with screeching tyres earlier. With vibrant songs such as Hit The Road Jack, 42nd Street and Fever, I was blown away by lead singers Lara Denning, Jon Hawkins and Simon Schofield (who is the voice behind You, the theme song of Bakgat! 2 and who's also known for being part of The Twelve Tenors). Not to mention the effortless performances by the dancers! Geez, I was astonished by what they were capable of doing - you have to see it to know what I'm talking about... Unfortunately, Amor Vittone's rather below par performance almost chased away my new-found happiness. This is Amor's first time back on the theatre stage in about ten years and even though she seemed to have mastered the dance routines, she resembled a deer in headlights more than once during the show.



That said, I've never seen tap dancing like this before! The musical classics mashed with modern day beat will have you tapping your toes from beginning to end, and - if you're anything like me - I can guarantee you'll try a few of the steps afterwards (please just do it in the comfort of your own home or in the bathrooms at the theatre - NOT in front of the leaving crowd like I did...)!

Strictly Tap Dance Fever runs Tuesdays to Fridays at 20:00, Saturdays at 15:00 and 20:00 and Sundays at 16:00. Tickets available at Computicket.

See you there!

Izzy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment