Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Artist Q&A: Jak De Priester

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

Okay, okay - there's nothing happy about it, I know. Don't blame me for trying! If you're suffering from a serious bout of post-weekend blues, here's something to cheer you up (hopefully)!



Jak De Priester is an established name in the local music industry and his tremendous talent knows no bounds. He first drew attention in 2003 after winning the ATKV Crescendo Competition and  now Jak can add five albums, one poetry collection, an Afrikaans coffee table word art book and numerous theatre productions to his impressive CV. I had a quick chat with him about his career.

You've come a long way since releasing the hit Sally Williams Nougat in 2003. What has been the highlight of your career thus far?
The releases of each of my albums were are highlights to me, and then touring - lots of shows. Big shows and smaller shows; there are too many moments to highlight only one.

What can fans expect from you in 2011?
I will collaborate with Koos Kombuis in a new production called Brooklyn Babalaas.

A lot of people can relate to your lyrics. Where do you draw your inspiration from?
Everyday life situations! Just being alive is inspiration. Emotions I experience every day...

What do you enjoy most; singing or the writing process?
Writing is like giving birth, singing is like seeing that child graduate.

If you didn't make singing your career, what would you be doing?
I am not sure... Try to be an actor?

You are actively involved with the Tyger Bear charity. What does that mean to you?
If my voice can help children, it's a blessing!



You are also a husband and father. How do you juggle those roles with your music career?
I love my wife, I love my child and I love being a muso and performer.

Has anyone ever mistaken you for a member of another band?
Yes, unfortunately - but not for the handsome ones!

Do you have any advice for aspiring solo artists?
It's all about songs! But stay true to yourself, write a lot and practise your instrument!

Sally Williams Nougat, the song that made Jak an instant favourite in the music industry:


Izzy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment