Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Album Review: Captain Stu - Free Music

Hey peeps,

Happy Tuesday! I hope you've all been having an easy week so far! I have to say, this weather is making it difficult for me to get up in the morning... I do rise, but heavens know I refuse to shine!

Anyhoo, I thought I'd share with you a review I did on Cape Town ska outfit Captain Stu's EP, Free Music.



Now, let me first say, having suffered from seriaas post-holiday blues (returning to Jozi after 3 weeks at the coast is no joke) and starting a new job, I was not the happy camper most of you know me to be. That was until I popped Free Music into the CD player on my way to work this morning...

Tempo - the opening track of the EP - immediately made forget about everything (including the impending traffic jam on the M1 and the fact that my car is way past its due service date). The lyrics, "Tell me do you like it / Fast or slow" replaced thoughts of warfare triggered by the taxi trying to squeeze into the 30 cm-space between myself and the car in front of me. I make a conscious decision to lose myself in the music and forget about everything else.

With a slow-spreading smile and fingers tapping on the steering wheel I wait for the next track. Han Solo tells the story of a love lost and it takes me back to a time where I didn’t have to pay my own rent – a time when puppy love was the most important thing in the world.

By the time I finished listening to all the tracks, I was bobbing my head (resembling those scary looking toy dogs your uncle had in the back window of his Ford Cortina) and had unconsciously let my window down to spread the Captain Stu-love to everyone who would listen.

You see, the thing with Captain Stu's Free Music (all their music, for that matter) is that it's fun, bouncy and just as quirky as the posts on their blogsite. Seriously, do yourself a favour and check it out - you'll be hosing yourself before you've finished reading the first page!



That said, I'm looking forward to the drive back home this afternoon - Captain Stu will without a doubt be on high rotation in my car for weeks to come.

Izzy
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment