Welcome to my blog!

For those of you who don't know me; I'm a scatterbrained ex-journalist with a passion for music - specifically local music. My mission on Music'nStuff is to share album reviews, gig reviews, interviews, gig guides, etc. with you - with the hope that my love for music will at least rub off on some of you so we can support South African music the way it deserves to be supported.







Please feel free to contact me - and tell all your friends about Music'nStuff! After all: they say music is a universal language, so spread the word!





Follow me on Twitter

Monday, July 4, 2011

Jon Savage Launches SA Music Industry Podcast

This week will see not only the launch of Jon Savage's new website, but he also launches his weekly SA Music Industry Podcast - a guide and tool to help South African bands, artists and industry people understand more about the music industry.

"I can't tell you how much I wish something like this existed when I first got into this industry. Every musician in SA knows that this is a gruelling industry, and in Cassette's life, we had huge ups and huge downs! When I look back now and see how we played the game and how we were a band, I wish there had been some sort of guide as to how to make your band work. I've only started to figure it out now!"

Each episode will be 30 - 45 minutes long and will be released every Monday morning on http://www.jonsavage.co.za/... for free! Some of the highlights include manager of The Parlotones, Raphael talking candidly about the methodology around the rise of The Parlotones, 5FM music compilers on exactly how they choose music for on-air, an interview with legendary photographer Ross Garrett, Red Flag's Caroline Hillary on mistakes bands make in PR and much, much more!

The podcasts will consist mainly of two elements: The first a candid interview with SA music professionals (Jon will look at the many different things that are going on in the industry) and the second a "demo crit". "Every week I get CDs from bands asking me to play their songs on my show. The good ones get on, a lot of them don't, and a whole stack of them go on my 'undecided' pile. For this, I will play a song from one of the bands on my podcast to whichever industry professional is in the studio with me. And they give constructive criticism as to why or why not they think the band will work," says Savage.

A podcast is essentially an Internet programme; they are generally free to download and even though we don't officially have a fully working iTunes in South Africa, you can download them from iTunes. All the links and information will be available on http://www.jonsavage.co.za/ under 'podcasts'. You can download a free programme from the site with a different guest every week - for free!

"In between the 20 or so top bands, there are literally hundreds of bands struggling to get their name out there. And a lot of the time - and I include Cassette in this category - bands are just making really bad decisions, unaware that many bands before them have made the same bad decisions! I think these podcasts will really help serious bands get ahead."

No comments:

Post a Comment